Tuesday, July 3, 2012

That Did Just Happen

I will call this day a success.  First, we all took one sort-of long bike ride, including some serious hills.  It was a hot day.  90 something degrees.  I do have a thing on my pinterest board that says sweat is fat crying.  So, yes, crying fat happened today.

Second, we biked to a lake.  We found a place to play in water that was not crazy busy and there was no smell of pee kinda lingering around, which is usually a pool phenomenon.  Also, we saw blue gills (I think) and Husband swam through some weeds to catch the turtle I spotted so we could all pet his shell.  He was pretty cute.  The turtle was.  Husband was brave to swim through the weeds.  I know you know that weeds hiding in water really do feel creepy.

Third, and this is the most important happening of the day, I just saved my family some money.  I don't know what the fine is for 6 overdue Ranger Rick Magazines, but I don't have to know.  See, it goes like this: I did write on the calendar that the magazines were due today.  The day before, I told Twin B that we needed to return them today.  It was the only thing on the calendar today.  I know: crazy.  So, 11 pm-ish strikes and as I try to tidy up a little bit, I see the magazines.  Only thing on the calendar and we forgot.  So, as I see the magazines, I tell Husband that I reminded him that they needed to be returned today and obviously he forgot because there they sit.  I think I totally lied about reminding him, but at the time I knew I had told someone.  So I get on the computer to try to renew the magazines so as to minimize the fines.  (Who knows how many more days we will forget to return them.)  I enter the bar codes of my kids' cards and try using the pin assigned to my other kids' cards since I can't remember any pins for the cards of the kids that took out the magazines.  Ding!  Works.  Then I see I can renew the magazines.  Cheering!  Then, I click on over to fines and see that we owe nothing.  I look at the clock and see it is before midnight of the day they are due.  I really don't know why this matters to me so much.  I am pretty sure that I would have had to pay less than one dollar for the late magazines.  But it isn't about the fines.  I guess it's a little like printing off a good paper right before it is due.  If I couldn't have renewed the magazines, it would have bothered me.  If I couldn't have figured out the pins, it would have really bothered me.  I get hung up on these things.  But this post is about success. So, hooray!  A pretty good day!


6 comments:

  1. crying fat. that is a great (or horrifying image). i read that out loud to steve. i will think about that everytime i'm out suffering on my bike.

    i probably shouldn't tell you that most libraries have a grace period (maybe a day or two) before they will charge you. once you pass the grace period, you do get charged for those days, however. but knowing this will only encourage you to turn your books in late, as you won't really consider them due until after the grace period (if you do have one). glad it worked out. i am TERRIBLE at returning books. usually it's cheaper for me to just buy them. but i refuse to give up on myself, so i keep checking out books. i tell myself that my fines are going to a good cause, and i hide the charges from steve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, why do I keep forgetting hit "reply" when replying to your reply?

      Delete
  2. You are right: you should not have told me that. I will absolutely push it now. I am not really an organized person, so I can't explain why I do turn in library things by their due date. My kids are months overdue to see the dentist. First Born is years overdue to get braces. I still have bags of school papers lying around that came home with my kids LAST year. A sign of my coo-coo gene, I guess. Also, definitely consider the late fines a donation to a great cause. When the school charges me for meals that I KNOW my kids would DIE before eating, I consider it a donation to a great school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (not really anonymous - this is deb) Hey there Franny - have you been keeping your library books out past the grace period? shame! Haven't heard from you in a while - i'm sure summer's just kicking your butt like it is mine...Anyway, stopping by to tell you I finally started the new blog - the one about anxiety. you are my only reader from the other blog that i'm telling. my other blog isn't anonymous, but this one is, at least initially. Olivia knows about it, and may even contribute to it, but for now i want to protect her privacy by not associating the two. i hope you can stop by and this can be a place you and i, and other parents, can meet to share stories/experiences and "worries." and as a disclaimer, it's really rough right now - i'm having trouble getting my vision for how it should work, but i figured i had to start somewhere! you remember those days when you started your blog and only your husband read it! well, that's where this is, except not even steve reads it! :) i've only posted twice, and it's kind of fun to feel completely unaccountable. still, i hope this can be a place i can do justice to olivia's story. Now i'm babbling. enough! here's the link: http://bubblesandcherries.wordpress.com
    - deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear from you! I do think summer is kicking my butt. But I don't even know if I want it to end, parts of it, anyway. The constant pecking from the brood can end, any second now, PLEASE! But I so hate much of the school-year routine. I will check out your new blog right away. I am thankful to have a new place to learn and share about anxiety.

      Delete
    2. Hey Franny,
      hope the school year has gotten off to a good start. i just found this psychology blog i thought you might be interested in. it's all about anxiety/ocd. this particular post is about vomit phobias, a subject near and dear to our hearts!
      http://www.steveseay.com/vomit-phobia-fear-of-vomiting-emetophobia/

      Delete